Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2012 10:44:10 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   BHyVe - few questions as i don't catch on idea

i am very happy of such software being done - natively on freebsd.
it seems very logic - separate memory for main FreeBSD system and separate
for VMs, main FreeBSD system handles I/O. Great but i really don't
understand what is the sense to run FreeBSD VM under FreeBSD - and that's
what now it does.

I don't need virtualization to run FreeBSD instances - it doesn't need it
because it is already efficient multiuser and multitasking system.

Virtualization is needed to make software and OSes that cannot really be
efficiently multiuser and multitasking - to do so, by running multiple
instances on the same machine. and as to preserve outdated software "as
is".

Running one or few instances of windows is prime example.

Is this planned in BHyVe?

Would be great. I wished before than linux KVM driver could be ported to
FreeBSD as it (+qemu itselv) already solves all needs. but i found this
port will not be continued.

I run virtualbox for now but it is far from efficient in speed and ever
worse in usage, as it does everything to make it difficult (UUIDs, XML config
files). Compared to this qemu is trivially simple, as well as BHyVe.

Xen is completely inefficient as it adds overhead to everything, not just
virtualized instances, because domain0 runs in VM too.

thanks.