Date:      24 Aug 2002 02:03:31 -0700
From:      Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>
To:        "frank amo" <lxfrank90@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HELP WITH CUSTOM KERNEL

"frank amo" <lxfrank90@hotmail.com> writes:

| Before I get started I want to let you guys or gals know that I am avoiding
| puncutating this message because when I punctuate my emails have been
| returned from many UNIX sites including this one

That's very strange.  I can punctuate willy-nilly with no fear of rejection.
Perhaps you could enlighten us on what sort of error messages punctuation in
email messages generates for you.

| I am considering upgrading to freebsd [4.6.2] because my [4.4] and [4.5] are
| giving me a series of issues achieving my goals
|
| Before I tell you my actual problems I will introduce my goals
| GOAL ONE
| To compile a kernel that will support limited hardware on my computer
|
| GOAL TWO
| Upon successful compilation of this kernel I would like to eliminate as many
| demons as possible and leave certain sockets open to create my own network
| services later on as I progress in what Im trying to accomplish
|
| GOAL THREE
| I would like to run an XServer with only one window manager that will allow
| me to conentrate my resources on both compilation and heavy image rendering
| and sound support
|
| SUMMARY
| These three goals are what I feel I need to create an multimedia workstation
| to provide me an environment that I can develop code and render images for
| mainly game development and testing for unix slash linux network based games

Okay.  These are all reasonable goals.  Goal Three is sort of at odds with
itself, but I think I understand what you mean.

| MY HARDWARE SETUP
|
| CPU is an AMD Athlon 800mhz
| MotherBoard is an Epox via chipset
| MEMORY is 768mhz running at 100mhz bus speed
| VIDEO is an ATI Radeon 7500 with 64mb of ddr memory
| Sound is built in but the sound
| [...]
|
| ISSUE ONE
| My main concerns are using the drivers that I found on your website and
| getting them to compile correctly into my kernel
|
| I have downloaded the ati radeon drivers from a link through your site the
| extenstion looks funny and I cant seem to relate them with freebsd and ati
| radeon support
|
| My only guess is either figure out how to use or compile those files or find
| something more convinient like a script I found for linux radeon support I
| dont mind untarring and then running make to compile them but they dont even
| look like they have those options
|
| Once I figure that out I am sort of confortable to go to my source directory
| and create my custom kernel and compile it
|
| I just need to know how to work those radoen files so that they give me
| either a dot o or a dot so extention and them include them in a directory for
| the kernel to find them during recompilation

There seems to be some confusion here.  FreeBSD basically can support any VGA
monitor.  I suspect what you're actually interested in is what XFree86 will
support; that's a different group, and you'd have to look at
http://www.xfree86.org/ for more information.

| ISSUE TWO
|
| In spite of that problem I would like to add the new Xfree86 [4.2.0] which I
| did but startx fails obviously because of the problem upstairs so I am
| patient with that until I have figured out the ATI Radeon driver issue I may
| come back for help on that later

"Upstairs"?  Since I'm unclear on what driver you're talking about in the first
place, it's hard to know what this means.

| What I am really curious about is this with the Xfree86config script
| QUESTION
| Will my ati radeon 7500 show up in the video card database after I have
| compiled the driver
| END OF QUESTION

XFree86 4.2.0 supports the Radeon using the ati driver included with XFree86.

        http://xfree86.org/4.2.0/Status6.html

| ISSUE THREE
| This is completely unrelated  At least I think  I am getting ugly and inhuman
| error messages such as listed below
|
| ERROR MESSAGES
|
| microfuntion
| These are actual functions that make me lose control of the keyboard

I've never heard of this error message.

| errors to forward slash dev forward slash console [/dev/console]
| I get these permission denied messages to this directory every time I leave
| the console idle after I log in as root

What permission denied messages?  Also, /dev/console is not a directory.

| I have to control c out of them or hit enter to get back to the prompt

If you mean that error messages are displaying on the console, that's normal
behavior.

| getty error messages
| Happen very much along with the dev console messages they also happen when I
| leave the keyboard idle I have to get back to the prompt the same way I
| described above

I'm unclear on what this means.

| healthd minus 14 point some number
| I get healthd like the messages above but on top of that I get negative
| numbers that rapidly change They are floating point numbers they always have
| decimals
|
| Its like reading an oscilliscope

I have no idea what you're talking about.

If you'd like to get better answers, you need to supply better information:
exact error messages, what you're doing to cause those error messages, and so
on.

Also, while I understand you like a hands-on approach, it's also clear that
your disregard of the provided documentation is causing you a lot of problems
and misunderstandings.  You may want to modify your approach a little in that
regard.

| Are these problems related to my AMD Athlon running at 800mhz Or is it
| possible that there may be a mismatch in the bios bus speed etc

I don't have enough information even to venture a guess, but I seriously doubt
it.

| Or is it that using a newer freebsd kernel may have support or patches for my
| Athlon CPU

This doesn't make any sense.  The Athlon CPU doesn't require any patches.  It
works with FreeBSD "out of the box."

| I know very little about computers in general and with UNIX I am not an
| ameteur yet

In that case, you *definitely* need to get over your aversion of the
documentation.