Date:      Thu, 02 May 1996 17:49:57 -0700
From:      Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stdio problem

You guys are really stubborn.  If you won't beleive me, here's
some mail I got from Paul Eggert, in reply to a similar report
sent to the diffutils maintainers:

> It's a bug in FreeBSD/NetBSD.  The C Standard says ``The `freopen'
> function first attempts to close any file that is associated with the
> specified stream.  Failure to close the file successfully is ignored.
> The error and end-of-file indicators for the stream are cleared.''
>
> Perhaps you can send a bug report to the FreeBSD/NetBSD maintainers;
> I don't know the procedure.

> Josh MacDonald stands accused of saying:
> >
> > Unfortunatly, I don't have control over this condition.  I am closing
> > the standard input and exec-ing GNU diff3.  Diff3 calls freopen.
> > The comments in stdio/freopen.c say this should work.  It works everywhere
> > else.
>
> "Why doesn't your operating system support my broken software?"

Why do I use a broken operating system with deveoplers who reply to
bug reports with insulting mail?

> > Why couldn't you all just answer my questions instead of telling me
> > it is wrong.  Obviously, I already know that
> > it doesn't work on FreeBSD or NetBSD, and that it works on every other
> > operating system I've tried it on.
> >
> > a)  Why does freopen fail *even though the comments in freopen.c say
> >     it should not*?
>
> Read the source.  Watch it in action.  Learn for yourself.

This is insulting.  I can look at the source and see why the comments
disagree with the implementation, but I was asking if this is a bug.
I wonder why I even use FreeBSD in the first place, if reporting bugs
comes down to "No, you're wrong, its not a bug, and you suck for not
reading the source."

It is a bug, however.  I might fix it, after finals.