Date:      Sun, 05 Aug 2001 13:18:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Pim Bliek <bliekp@fourtytwo.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem doing make buildworld with STABLE

> Hi,

> I succesfully updated my sources (using cvsup (tag=RELENG_4)) to STABLE.
> I'm currently running:  (output from uname -a)
> FreeBSD <hostname> 4.3-RC FreeBSD 4.3-RC #2: Sat Apr 21 18:39:53 CEST
> 2001

> After this I went into /usr/src and performed a make -j4 buildworld.
> It keeled over with the following error (after 5 mins or so):

BTW, have you been tracking the -stable mailing list?

<wild guess>
**When** did you cvsup?

You may have updated at the wrong moment, ie when [huge] commits were being
performed; which problem sometimes occurred in the past few days -- there was
a "HEADS UP" in the -stable forum: a new Release is in preparation).

If an error appears again, you should try dropping the j (ie "parallel")
option.

> rm -rf lib ext Porting hints build
> ===> gnu/usr.sbin
> 1 error
> *** Error code 2
> 1 error
> *** Error code 2
> 1 error

> <hostname>#

> My cvsup file:

> *default host=cvsup.nl.FreeBSD.org
> *default base=/usr
> *default prefix=/usr
> *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
> *default delete use-rel-suffix
> *default compress
> src-all
> ports-all
  ^^^^^^^^^
  ^^^^^^^^^

This doesn't look correct: ports have no branches. The line should read:

ports-all tag=.

("." is essential: it means "current"). The same applies for the doc-all line
below.)

> doc-all
  ^^^^^^^
  ^^^^^^^