Date:      Sat, 6 Apr 2002 23:41:16 +0200
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        java@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Default directory locations for Java ports

Hi all,

We've been discussing default directory locations for Java library (!) ports
quite a few times on this mailing list. My goal is to extend bsd.java.mk RSN
to set these default directory locations.

One of my observations is that Java library ports usually install the
following:
1) One or more JAR files. Typically one. If there's more than one, then you
should ask yourself if the port should be split up.
2) Javadoc-generated API documentation.
3) Other documentation.
4) Examples.
5) Source files.

Only the JAR file is really mandatory. The other things are optional.

I propose that the following settings will be used by ports:

1) JAVA_LIBDESTDIR -- Destination directory for the JAR file(s).
2) JAVA_APIDOCDESTDIR -- Destination directory for Javadoc-generated
   API documentation.
3) DOCSDIR -- Destination directory for other API documentation.
4) EXAMPLESDIR -- Destination directory for examples.
5) JAVA_SRCDESTDIR -- Destination directory for .java source files.

Note that this proposal does not specify anything different for the '4) Other
documentation' and '5) Examples' than other (non-Java library) ports would
use. This is intentional. I think we should use what is already available, if
it is really appropriate.

Apart from this first proposal, the second is that we use the following
values for these settings:

# This setting is only used internally by bsd.java.mk, not by the port
__JAVA_SHAREDIR=	${PREFIX}/share/java

JAVA_LIBDESTDIR=${__JAVA_SHAREDIR}/lib/${PORTNAME}
JAVA_APIDOCDESTDIR=${__JAVA_SHAREDIR}/apidocs/${PORTNAME}
JAVA_SRCDESTDIR=${__JAVA_SHAREDIR}/src/${PORTNAME}

Comments are highly appreciated. I would like to commit these changes (or
something similar) to bsd.java.mk next week.

Kind regards,

Ernst