Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 2015 11:39:53 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
To:        Jeremy Brown <mischif@mischivous.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cross-Compiling RPi Ports From amd64 Using Native Toolchain

> On Jan 2, 2015, at 7:42 PM, Jeremy Brown <mischif@mischivous.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> One additional thing: I checked my toolchain and did see that some of =
my
> programs (ar, as, cc, gcc, ld, ranlib) are statically linked, whereas =
the
> rest are dynamically linked, including cpp and nm which also gave me =
the
> ELF interpreter error. So I'll change my question somewhat - if I use =
the
> command given on the qemu page (env -u TARGET -u TARGET_ARCH make -j 4
> toolchain) instead of the one provided by crochet (make XDEV=3D${XDEV}
> XDEV_ARCH=3D${XDEV_ARCH} WITH_GCC=3D1 WITH_GCC_BOOTSTRAP=3D1 =
WITHOUT_CLANG=3D1
> WITHOUT_CLANG_BOOTSTRAP=3D1 WITHOUT_CLANG_IS_CC=3D1 WITHOUT_TESTS=3D1 =
xdev),
> would I be more likely to succeed in cross-compiling my ports and will =
I be
> able to use this toolchain to build the kernel and world with crochet?

You should install both and use them for different purposes:

Crochet uses the =E2=80=98xdev=E2=80=99 tools *only* for compiling the =
U-Boot boot
loader.  (It does *not* use it for building kernel and world.  The
standard FreeBSD build infrastructure automatically builds appropriate
cross-compilers as needed for kernel and world.)

Tim