Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:58:20 -0800
From:      Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
To:        stan <stanb@awod.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome 2 on FreeBSD 4.7p3 -- multiple issues

On Friday, February 14, 2003, at 11:21 AM, stan wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 11:46:47AM -0800, Mark Edwards wrote:

>>> Nothing useful here.  You might try doing a forced rebuild of gdm2.
>>>
>>> Joe
>>
>> I got it.  I tried switching to root, and running startx (root's
>> .xinitrc was set to start gnome).  I got a complaint that fontconfig
>> couldn't start.  Aha!
>>
>> I removed /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts and reinstalled
>> /usr/ports/x11-fonts/fontconfig and voila!  Everything's fine, AND I
>> have anti-aliased fonts!  Damn, that was painful, but I guess it was
>> worth it.
>
> I"m fighting this exact same problem, and I was wondering if I could
> trouble you with a couple of questions.
>
> You say you removed /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts. Do you mean the whole thing?
> As
> in evert font on the system? If so, exactly what did you do to reinstall
> just the fonts?

My /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts directory looks like this:

total 16
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  8618 Feb 13 11:35 fonts.conf
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  5712 Feb 13 11:35 fonts.dtd

So, I removed that directory, and I did

cd /usr/ports/x11-fonts/fontconfig
make deinstall
make clean install

That fixed the problem for me.  I don't know that deleting the
fonts.conf and fonts.dtd actually did anything, I was just shooting in
the dark.  I saw that something was foul with fontconfig, so I wanted to
make sure I wiped out anything corrupted in fonts.conf.  I knew the
installer would replace that directory.

If two of us have had this issue now, I wonder if there's something
about the build order of the gnome2.2 port that is messing up fontconfig
when upgrading from a previous gnome2 install, or something like that.
Does that sound plausible Joe?

--
Mark Edwards
Engineer