Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 1996 11:03:28 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, dutchman@spase.nl, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HDD cpu usage (IDE vs. SCSI).

Luigi Rizzo stands accused of saying:

> > >How come the seagate uses twice as much cpu as the quantum?
> >
> >    Because a Pentium-90 is much faster than a 486-100 for certain things and
> > most of the %CPU is for total I/O overhead, not just the overhead in the
> > device driver.
>
> Hmmm... if I get it right this means that under certain circumstances
> (1 disk, onboard IDE controller, medium-fast CPU) using SCSI instead
> of IDE gives you only a very little saving (which BTW is what I am
> convinced of, but this has not been the dominating opinion on this
> list).

No, you're not understanding.  For a given CPU, IDE will _always_ use more
CPU time than SCSI.  Period.

If you have lots of free CPU, then IDE is fine, but if you feel that your
CPU has better things to do with its time than copy data to and from
your disk, then SCSI is the only solution that makes sense.