Date:      Mon, 8 Sep 1997 11:25:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        "S. Sigala" <ssigala@globalnet.it>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My FreeBSD Wish List...

> * Move the ports packages prefix directory from /usr/local
>   to /usr/opt or something like.  /usr/local should be reserved for
>   user compiled packages, and should be created empty by default, as other
>   operating systems already do.

/usr/opt is not a likely 'good' candidate..

I dont see a problem with /usr/local, as for what it ''should'' be--that
is likely a personal point of preference, but I look at /usr/local/ as
anything _local_ to the system, outside of the standard OS install, thus
packages/ports going there is perfectly viable..

>   The X11 ports should not be installed in /usr/X11R6 but in the
>   ports directory /usr/opt, the X Window directories tree should be
>   never touched by the ports, i.e. should be like /usr/bin or /usr/lib ...

I agree that X11 ports should not go into /usr/X11R6..

> * Replace the current package format with the RedHat RPM one, while

Your arguments sound ok, but you need to give more details as to the
problems and how RPM handles them better, I think you would be more likely
to find improvements to the existing pkg system over simply jumping to
another system entirely.

I do have one direct question, what does RPM do if it doesn't tarball
packages?

-Brandon