Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:05:13 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: glibstdc++2.8.1.1 & shared libraries...

> Is there a reason why glibstdc++ in ports won't compile shared, but we do
> have 2.7,x in /usr/lib perfectly fine?  Anyone working on this?

Yes.  Think about what happens when you give a g++28 shared compiled
binary to someone else?  What if they don't have glibstdc++ installed?
The ld.so will grab the the shared lib from /usr/lib and the binary will
blowup.

I've had several complaints about this.  What is the problem?  Is it just
a space issue?  I can't believe anyone writing C++ code is worried about
that.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)