Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 11:22:43 -0600 (CST)
From:      JB <jrs@Mcs.Net>
To:        "Stephen D. Spencer" <lists@artorius.sunflower.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [fbsd-isp] Designing for a very large ISP

	I read your comments to the gentlemen trying to design a very
large isp and i thought if possible you could answer a question for me.
I am currently in the process of setting up a *small* isp.  I'll really
just be a domain name, webhosting, secondary email account company.  I
will offer very few pops (at first) and really want to cater to commercial
web hosting and secondary isp usage.  I have 6 servers (*all 200mhz,
128ram, cdrom*for freebsd installs*, generic nic and graphics card).  My
setup will look something like this:

                        ****backbone*****

*NTSERVER*  *CLUSTER*  *dns&nfs* *web-serv*  *SMTP/POP3* *fpt-serv* *news*
             2nd DNS

I'm in the final stages and i want to ask a couple questions.

1.  I want to use nfs so i can mount all the user directories accross my
    mail, web and ftp server--should i use a one large or multiple scsi
    hard drive on the nfs machine so i could mount that one user
    directory accross  all machines so it will be common or am i going or
    think in the wrong direction.

2.  Has anyone had any experience with tools that allow unix nt
    intergration that actually works.

3.  can you control the amount of bandwith machines eat up or the rate of
    connection it gives??  i have only two t1's and the news machine can
    eat one t1 by itself.  I've heard of smart switches and things of that
    nature can you give me any advice on that.

4,  I've had conversations with people who say i should use different unix
    flavors on special machines like my mail, and uucp box is this true.

5.  any insight on terminal servers

6.  any other insight you could give me would be helpful.

Thank YOU for your help

john
jrs@mcs.net