Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:11:42 +0200
From:      Borje Josefsson <bj@dc.luth.se>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
Subject:   Re: tcp_output starving -- is due to mbuf get delay?

 =

> one has 6 gige nics (intel pro/1000T server), in a dual Xeon 1.5Ghz =

> (P4), with 2gb of ram.  I haven't put it into production yet, so if =

> there are any tests I can do, let me know.  It would be good to know th=
e =

> pitfalls before I bring it up live.. :)
> =

I am also *very* interested in participating in this. I did apply [some =

version of] Sean Chittendens patch, but that didn't help. With that patch=
 =

applied my system deadlocked(?) when stressing it vith ttcp. To me (but =

bear in mind that I'm not at all a kernel hacker) one of the if-statement=
s =

in the patch seem to cover to little - i.e. when having the fastscan OIS =

unset - code that has to do with fastscan is still executed, at least in =

the version I tried.

I get

Mar 27 11:42:41 stinky kernel: sbappend: bad tail 0x0xc0ef8200 instead of=
 =

0x0xc0ef4b00

when "fastscan" is unset.

I have two test systems with xeon CPUs, that can handle a 1000 km (21 ms)=
 =

full speed GE-connection quite well with NetBSD (I get approx 970 Mbit/se=
c =

with ttcp), but I run out of CPU when using FreeBSD long before I can fil=
l =

then network. I could stay with NetBSD, but since I am used to FreeBSD I'=
d =

rader have that instead. We have tested with Linux too on the same =

distance, and it seems that they can handle this too.

What we did in NetBSD (-current) was to increase IFQ_MAXLEN in (their) =

sys/net/if.h, apart from that it's only "traditional" TCP tuning.

My hosts are connected directly to core routers in a 10Gbps nationwide =

network, so if anybody is interested in some testing I am more than =

willing to participate. If anybody produces a patch, I have a third syste=
m =

that I can use for piloting of that too.

--B=F6rje