Date:      Mon, 09 Feb 1998 21:37:24 -0800
From:      "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
To:        Jamie Clark <jamie@erinet.com>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Q: Opinions on which Tape Drive to Buy?

>David Kelly wrote:
>> http://www.basoncomputer.com was advertising an Archive 4326 for $399.
>> Not sure if that price was updated on their web page or not.

>It's listed as a Conner 4326 for $399.  Is DDS-2?  I can't find out any

Yes, this drive is DDS-2.

>product specifications via the net.  The Conner site is seagate and the only
>tape drives they offer info on is the retail.  None of the Conner line is

Did you check out the tape support section?

Try http://www.seagate.com/support/tape/tapeinfo/w4m_med.shtml

>available.  I'm wandering about compatible SCSI cards, software to drive it
>in Windoze 95, is one tape included, the which 3M tape do I buy, error rate,
>MTBF

If it's a standard SCSI tape drive (which any modern DAT drive would
be), there is no such thing as "compatible SCSI cards".  You need to
worry more about which SCSI cards are compatible with FreeBSD.

Any DDS-2-certified tapes will work.  A refurbished drive will
probably not come with anything other than the drive (no free tape, no
manual, no cable, no power cord, etc.).

I don't think Win95 has a SCSI backup program, but Windows NT does.
Win98 beta supposedly does, also.  You can buy backup software for
Win95 for ~$75 (Seagate Backup Exec or something like that).

  Michael L. VanLoon    mvanloon@exmsft.com    michaelv@MindBender.serv.net
      Contract software development for Windows NT, Windows 95 and Unix.
             Windows NT and Unix server development in C++ and C.