Date:      Tue, 6 Feb 2001 10:59:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Andre Oppermann <oppermann@monzoon.net>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>, Dan Phoenix <dphoenix@bravenet.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Jos Backus <josb@cncdsl.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: soft updates and qmail (RE: qmail IO problems)

:Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
:>
:> In message <5FE9B713CCCDD311A03400508B8B3013054E3F5D@bdr-xcln.is.matchlogic.com>, Charles Randall writes:
:> >The qmail FAQ specifically recommends against soft updates for the mail
:> >queue.
:> >
:> >http://cr.yp.to/qmail/faq/reliability.html#filesystems
:> >
:> >Is this incorrect?
:> >
:>
:> It seems to indicate that qmail doesn't use fsync(2) as much as it should
:> do.  If that is true, then yes, softupdates would mean that a lot of things
:> which qmail (mistakenly) think has been written are in fact not on the
:> disk.
:
:Qmail uses fsync() *very* extensivly! I know pretty well, I wrote
:the qmail-ldap patch. (avail on http://www.nrg4u.com).
:
:PS: Poul, have you got my email from yesterday night?
:
:--
:Andre

    I did a quick search of the qmail site but couldn't find an email
    address to report the FAQ issue to.  If QMail calls fsync() in a
    reasonable manner, then softupdates is perfectly safe and the QMail
    FAQ needs to be updated to recommend softupdates rather then
    disrecommend it.

						-Matt