Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2012 08:22:30 -0400
From:      Michael Scheidell <scheidell@FreeBSD.org>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: unable to build openjade after updating perl

On 7/4/12 8:05 AM, Jerry wrote:
> Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon after updating the Perl
> port?

yes, for years and years.
if you update perl, from something that is working to the new version,
you will always see issues with random ports not building, or not needed
(p5-(something) is already in perl.

did you follow /usr/ports/UPDATING?  EXACTLY?

The following is never recommended, not by perl@, not by the joint
chiefs, or the iron chief:

(but I do it here every time, because I can't get an upgrade to work
without it)

AFTER doing everything in /usr/ports/UPDATING, see what is left in the
old perl dirs

cd /usr/local/lib/perl5
ls
cd /usr/local/lib/perl5/
scanner2.hackertrap.net# ls
5.12.4 5.16.0       site_perl

(just lists what was NOT updated, copied over to, installed into new perl)

rsync -avun 5.12.4 5.16.0

cd site_perl
repeat.

Now, here is the part you don't want to do:

take out the -n (dry run), because if you do, you might actually copy
over something that was missing, and might make your ports work again.
(or break them worse)
when done, you don't want to delete the old 5.* dirs in ../perl5 or
site_perl. for the same reasons.

but, then again, openjade might just not be compatible with perl5.16,
which is also a possibility, and you won't get anywhere until it is
upgraded.

actually, what do we do in practice for our commercial systems?
leave well enough alone.  it took at least a year going from 5.10 to
5.12 before all the bugs in the p5-* ports were worked out.
When we do upgrade, we wipe everything out and start all over:

pkg_delete -A

portmaster private/metaport

install everything back from our private binary package builds.

if we don't, then 'strange' things always happen.

We do this for perl and php.

ymmv.

--
Michael Scheidell, CTO
 >*| * SECNAP Network Security Corporation
d: +1.561.948.2259
w: http://people.freebsd.org/~scheidell