Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:50:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      zoonie <zoonie@myhouse.com>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large httpd log files

what you need to do is create an analog configuration file for each
customer that specifies what directory the output is written to and what
log file to read in.  you also need to setup your web sever so that the
log files for each virtual domain goes to a different file/directory. when
running analog you then specify which configuration file to read and this
will generate a report based on the logfile specified in the config file.
all of this works assuming that each customer has his own domain and a
virtual web sever is setup for the customer.  if you don't have this type
of setup you could put together a perl script that will split up the log
file into multiple files for each customer and run against that (the perl
script is an idea because as far as i know you can't direct the log output
for each user to a different file unless the user has a virtual domain
configured and i don't ever remember seeing anything stating that you
could if there isn't a virtual domain). another thing that might help if
you can't split up the logs for each customer is the dns caching that
version 2 of analog does.  this will shorten the time that analog takes to
generate a report if the same sites are hitting the web site over and over
again.  if a bunch of new sites hit it then the DNS lookup has to be done
and report generation will take longer.....