Date:      Tue, 5 Jul 2016 21:44:43 +0200
From:      Ivan Radovanovic <radovanovic@gmail.com>
To:        Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-mono <freebsd-mono@freebsd.org>, Mathieu Prevot <mathieu.prevot@gmail.com>, Carsten Larsen <cs@innolan.dk>, =?UTF-8?Q?Romain_Tarti=c3=a8re?= <romain@blogreen.org>
Subject:   Re: Maintaining mono/.net
References:  <CABx9NuSwbf2jwyqcGNGeyWjJ4pbVFmCiGO=i172UDFy2=yGPOw@mail.gmail.com> <20160628094307.bepxy46dp5igizeh@ivaldir.etoilebsd.net> <CABx9NuTPgGqansvnFNxRUhsagh3x=o4W7%2B7UUxORkGpzZVTJUA@mail.gmail.com> <1526452.AT2qT6pE07@dragon.local> <20160629195854.4698194.67297.7966@gmail.com> <CABx9NuQrDjqr2rUDsLY7g7fVO1b-3o_=SLR5A0FAYbt37K3t-Q@mail.gmail.com> <577BCCE9.10504@gmail.com> <CABx9NuROES85Q=r%2B9EF1d31LpHhnkKMk%2Bu51wq9snwkrTb_VKQ@mail.gmail.com>

On 07/05/2016 18:06, Russell Haley wrote:

> The rub with GitHub is that
> there is no way to auto-magically keep a fork up to date, meaning as
> soon as you create a fork and apply patches, it becomes possible to
> get out of date without manual updates. That means it becomes the
> teams job to make sure we keep our repositories current (or get all
> patches pushed upstream).
>
> So, there are three ways that I know of to sync your changes *assuming
> they under git currently*:
> 1) via pull requests
> 2) via raw patches
> 3) switching the remote origin, pulling the changes, then switching again (?)
>
> I have to go now, so let us know where your changes are. I'm not sure
> if you can create pull requests between forks of the same repo, it
> will be neat to try. If you are unfamiliar with pushing your changes
> back to your remote repository, I always used this:
>
> https://rogerdudler.github.io/git-guide/

My idea of doing this was something like this (I am much less familiar
with github):

$ git clone url-to-mono-rep
$ git checkout branch-4.4
$ git branch freebsd
$ git checkout freebsd
... doing some work ...
$ git remote add freebsd url-to-our-rep
$ git push freebsd freebsd	# pushing freebsd branch to our repo

for pulling new development from mono
$ git checkout master
$ git pull origin master

merging mono changes with ours
$ git checkout freebsd
$ git merge master

(warning: high probability that I made some mistake with git commands above)

In addition to this "freebsd" branch we should have one more stable
branch, which would require code to be reviewed to reach it.

P.S.
I got invite for github (thanks Russ!), I will first test how to push
this with some dummy remote I will create (in my experience mistaken
commits to central repository can be annoying to fix).