Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 09:23:32 +0000
From:      Richard Smith <rsmith@trltech.co.uk>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Your misconceptions about the GPL

Brett Glass wrote:

> The GPL does not meet the criteria for an open source license. First,
> it discriminates against a field of endeavor: the creation of
> commercial software. Second, it requires a "fee" before you can
> distribute works based upon the software: namely, the forfeiture of
> the value of your own code. For both of these reasons, the GPL
> is not a legitimate open source license.

Surely this second point is _your_ misconception (and a common
misconception) about the GPL, namely, confusing owned code and derived
works.

I could release my new megasuite under either BSD or GPL and will
forfeit monetary gain through either route.

Richard, who _has_ read the GPL and _is_ a BSD enthusiast.