Date:      Fri, 05 Jul 2002 21:10:24 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, "Lee" <lee@unassemble.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: File System Monitoring

7/5/2002 6:50:01 PM, "Lee" <lee@unassemble.co.uk> wrote:

>Sorry I should have been more clear.
>
>Although maybe this defeats the point in using FreeBSD  I am not
using the
>Ports collection unless absolutley necessary.  Mostly I am installing
from
>source.
[snip]

The ports work by downloading the source, adding any patches, then
compiling and installing on your machine.  (They also make sure you
have the dependencies installed.)  Any patches, as well as where the
installed files go, should be clear from the files in each port's directory.

Perhaps you knew this, but had some other reason for not using the
ports?

Jud