Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 95 13:02:52 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        faulkner@mpd.tandem.com (Boyd Faulkner)
Cc:        faulkner@devnull.mpd.tandem.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: BSD Consortium

> > The initial list of goals I put up shouldn't step on any directional
> > toes, specifically to avoid any conflict between FreeBSD, NetBSD, or
> > BSDI (or anyone else who would be interested).
>
> I am not so worried about the goals as if there is any interest in having
> common goals from the NetBSD side.  A one member, FreeBSD, consortium
> would be pointless.  If NetBSD is interested for any reason, then there is
> a point.  I haven't heard anything that says that they are.  If we cannot
> gain a united front on this issue, hunting for other members further
> from home is going to be much harder.  Has the question been put before
> them?

I believe that there would still be benefit in having a united wallet
that would pay for things like BSD promotion and publication of a
BSD journal, or whatever a steering committee might decide would be
advantageous to BSD as a whole (trade shows, articles in trade rags
and professional journals, etc., are some examples).

No formal approach has been made to the NetBSD camp, other than their
members who monitor these lists likely being aware that a discussion
is in the offing.

This is one of the reasons I've suggested a crossposted article and
not a mailing list would be the next step.

What are FreeBSD's short, medium, and long term goals that should be
presented in such a crossposted article when the Consortium proposal
is made?

Other than pointing at "the things everyone talks about but no one
does anything about" which a Consortium could make it profitable to
actually do something about (a Journal publication, press relations,
and a forum for keeping at least rough binary compatability between
the various camps), which are the goals I _suggested_, what goals
would you personally put forth?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---