Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 08:44:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Pat Lynch <lynch@bsdunix.net>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Merger Announcement

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Brad Knowles wrote:

> 	My understanding is that this has gone *way* beyond a flamewar,
> and has gotten intensely personal.  We're talking serious threats of
> bodily harm.
>
> 	If we can find a way to put this behind us, or work around this
> problem, then I think there may be a chance that we could actually
> potentially see a merged codebase from all the major members of the
> *BSD family.

	This is unlikely, as the repesctive "head" memebers (read, not
cire, but founding members) of each project have had long standing
resentments towards one another.

having friends within each of these projects , I also see that the only
way to "merge", which in my opinion may not be the best thing, is to
remove these players from the filed. however, they are so intricate to the
character of each OS that its unlikely.

ce'st la vie....

however, the image of unification and the actual unification are two
different things. We can maintain the image (like linux) yet still have
"distributions"

-Pat

 __

Pat Lynch						lynch@rush.net
							lynch@bsdunix.net
							lynch@unix.sh
							lynch@blowfi.sh
Systems Administrator					Rush Networking