Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 1995 12:22:04 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   low-mem machines awfully slow now

I'm just testing a self-compiled snapshot of 2.1.  As usual, i'm using
a spare 386sx/16 with 6 MB RAM for this.

I noticed that the installation procedure became *awfully* slow now.
At the first attempt, i've even given up since i thought the
installation was dead.  The machine were stuck with the ``Creating
root file system'' message.  Eventually, after about a minute or so,
it continued.  This slugginess continues all the time.

The strange thing is that it's for no apparent reason.  It's just
``sitting there'', no disk activity, screen echo on the holographic
shell yes, but no command execution.  Once it's going on again,
everything works as `quick' as usual, even the response to an `ls'
command on the holographic shell is within less than a second then.

I've first noticing this at the fixit floppy on the same machine, btw.
The floppy works fine on a faster one, but on this slow box, it
continuously falls back into ``deep thinking'' every now and then.

Does anybody have an idea how to investigate the bottleneck?

--
cheers, J"org