Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 08:44:05 -0700
From:      Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.net>
To:        <bill@mcmilleon.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: terminal server-like replacement for getty?

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002 08:10:08 -0500
"Bill McMilleon" <billmcmilleon@insightbb.com> wrote:

> Perhaps I haven't explained my problem well enough.
>
> I have an external Adtran 3000 Express ISDN terminal adapter (call it
> a modem if you like)
> connected to /dev/cuaa1.  This "modem" has several status and
> configuration screens
> that I can get in and tweak using minicom when I am on that physical
> machine.  These screens
> require VT100 emulation to work properly.
>
> Now I have been able to ssh to this box, then run minicom to get to
> these screens
> successfully.  What I want to do is either telnet or ssh to a special
> port(I know
> how to config this part) and immediately upon login, be directly and
> transparently
> connected to this external serial device so I can manually run the AT
> commands to access
> the status/config screens it offers.
>
> By "immediately" I mean after I hit enter on the password my next
> keystrokes go
> to the "modem"
>
> By "directly and transparently" I mean no minicom-like status
> bar/menus, just VT100 emulation,
> which is what those status/config screens require.

Sorry, I misunderstood your question earlier.  It wouldn't be perfect,
but you could just create new user for this purpose and then add the
relevant program invocation to their .bash_profile or .bashrc file such
that the terminal program is launched immediately upon login.  However,
with this method, when you quit the terminal program you would still
have to exit the shell manually - but I'm sure that there would be some
way around this???

Nathan