Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 17:44:10 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>, =?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?= <ache@nagual.ru>, Kevin Eliuk <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>, FreeBSD-Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, peter@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error installing pine-3.96

"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
> I'm not necessarily advocating going the multi-branch route and
> imposing the same disciplines on ports/ that we have on src/, either
> (though that may eventually be necessary and I'm not saying anything
> either way on that yet), but it would be nice if ports maintainers
> made a special effort to see that a port compiled under *both*
> branches of the OS.  Most porters are probably running 2.2 anyway, and
> if thud will start staying up more than 4-5 hours at a time, we can
> have them test the 3.0 operability there.

This route is frought with danger. I'm not trrying to shoot it down,
(Au Contraire - I would love to see it work,) but there are some
issues that make the labour darned difficult.

Example - SSH. SSH is one of those things that folk always want the
latest version of. We moved libz and libgmp into mainstream code,
but our versions in the RELENG_* branch are not those that the port
wanted. Making this work was _very_ dirty. Around these parts, most
folk just gave up, said "sod the ports system" and rolled their own.
Cock-ups abounded.

We need to think up a method of allowing for this.

Mark Murray                PGP key fingerprint = 80 36 6E 40 83 D6 8A 36
This .sig is umop ap!sdn.                        BC 06 EA 0E 7A F2 CE CE