Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 12:40:02 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Partition naming [Was: Adding Hard Drives - Prepping]

> > : What about backwards-compatibility to themselves?  I think that's
> > : the biggest issue.
> >
> > I believe they just did it since they hadn't done a release at that
> > stage yet.
>
> Well, but as long as _we_ didn't solve this problem for FreeBSD,
> there's no chance to bump the number here. :(

There is no inhernet reason that putting a disklabel on a "partition"
of an already disklabeled "slice" would not work.

All it would require is applying the partition detection mechanism
recursively.

I've already suggested that this should be the way things work under
devfs, anyway.

There is also no inherent reason you couldn't have multiple extended
partitions (to use the DOS terminology that 99% of the rest of the
world is using, with us a confusing exception).  Just because *DOS*
won't understand them doesn't mean BSD wouldn't.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.