Date:      Sat, 26 Aug 1995 01:17:40 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   another 2.0.5 installation report

Well, after getting a new disk for my notebook -- it's actually
second-hand, and it does already contain a working Linux installation.

I've decided to keep the Linux by now, and rather install FreeBSD into
that part of the disk that used to be /usr2 under Linux.  Ok, fine,
with the advent of the slice code, i should even be able to share
Linux' swap slice.

A few quirks with the installation procedure however:

o Sharing a foreign slice and assigning it as swap seems to be
  impossible, even in wizard mode.

o Using the existing swap slice by using two FreeBSD slices failed,
  since the original layout was:

  wd0s1: Linux root
  wd0s2: Linux swap ==> first FreeBSD slice (wd0s2b for swap)
  wd0s3: second FreeBSD slice (wd0s3a as /)

  The installation program didn't complain, but it failed to create
  the root file system since it's using the ``compat slice'' wd0a to
  create the root (hence it tried to newfs /dev/rwd0s2a).

o I decided to shuffle the slices around in wizard mode (with the idea
  in mind to move Linux' idea of the swap from hda2 to hda4 finally),
  so the intented FreeBSD root comes first in the fdisk table.
  Bummer: since i wanted to keep the existing swap at the same
  location (well, for no good reason :), i've first created wd0s2 in
  wizard mode, but used the region of the disk physically located at
  the end, and i've finally assigned the remaining (intervening)
  sectors as wd0s3 (so it wouldn't become the compat slice).  *Now*
  sysinstall complained that i could not use this region for a root
  file system.  Strange.  This decision has not been made based on the
  fdisk slot #, but on the physical location on the disk.  (I've
  finally convinced it by deleting that slice, assigning /, and
  re-establishing the swap region.)

My wishes:

o it should be possible (at least in wizard mode) to assign an
  arbitrary region of the disk for swapping; in particular, the Linux
  swap is identifiable (ID 0x81) and could be offered as a valid swap
  slice in the first place :)

o the decision whether a file system is acceptable as a root fs should
  be made based on the fdisk slot #, and not on the physical location
  on the disk

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/