Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:25:51 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: incorrect checksums with xl?

* Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU> [020221 11:18] wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at a packet trace taken of an xl card under 4.5, and I see
> bad IP and TCP/UDP checksums. The release notes state that checksumming
> maybe offloaded to the NIC now, but I'd still expect them to be correct
> in a packet trace!
>
> More specifically, the IP checksum is always zero, while the TCP and UDP
> checksums are non-zero but bad. However, netstat shows no packets
> arriving with bad checksums, so I assume that they get mangled somewhere
> in the kernel after inbound processing. (And the machine works fine on a
> network; I found this by accident.)
>
> Any clues?

I'm not 100% on this, but bpf may be queueing the packet without
doing a deep copy of it?  Another thing may be that the card performs
the checksum but uses the checksum area as a scratch area?

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
Tax deductible donations for FreeBSD: http://www.freebsdfoundation.org/