Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 23:37:52 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "David Leimbach" <dleimbac@earthlink.net>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Intuitive interface - was RE: vi

My problem with this is that 99% of the folks out there yapping about making
computers more "intuitive" what they really want is to make the computer
look
more like some previous computer they already learned on.  They use the
phrase
"intuitive interface" as a marketing term to push software interfaces that
look
like the same tired Windows interfaces that we have seen for the last decade
or more.

I put my 3 year old son in front of a PC running Windows.  He happily
started
pushing buttons at random.  I then put him in front of a Macintosh.  He
pushed the
same buttons randomly.  So much for intuition.

However, when he hears a loud noise he moves away from it, not towards it.
We never
taught him that he's been doing it since he came out of the womb.  That's
real human intuition.

I know that from time to time in the past some really experienced people in
the
industry have attempted to make computers easier to use.  They have come up
with
a variety of interfaces, but nobody seems to have agreed on anything other
than
a graphical interface is easier to use.  That's fine except that brand-new
accounting programs and customer service call center programs and the like
that
are rolling off the assembly line today, whose sole purpose is to be used to
bang data into a database at high speed (thus the easier they can be used
means
faster data input which can save thousands depending on the application)
they
are STILL being written as character-based forms programs.  Sure they map
pop up
in a graphical window and have graphical characters - that is the Courier
font they
display in is drawn pixel-by-pixel not by popping a value into a video rom -
but they are still fundamentally character-based interfaces.  I guess those
people
never read any of the studies that Apple fabrica.. eh, I mean "comissioned",
that "prove conclusively" that Graphical is superior.  And, lets not forget
the
rapidly-increasing-in-popularity HTML webinterface forms, those aren't
really
graphical either.  Oh, and I almost forgot my Palm Pilot - why don't the
words
and letters display in Cursive?  They are entered in that way!!

Anyway, the point is that at a young age people learn how to use different
technological apparatus that's placed in front of them.  Once they make this
knowledge investment they don't want to relearn.  This is why all Stereos,
DVD players, VCR's, etc. etc. all look the same.  Have you ever seen a
countertop DVD player that doesen't have the tray smack dab in the middle of
the unit?  Is there any engineering reason to place it there?  No.  But, if
you didn't, people would unconsciouly think "Ah, that's different, it
doesen't
work like the rest of them, I don't understand it, it's not "intuitive"" and
they
wouldn't buy it.

Don't lie to yourself - human intuition doesen't have anything to do with
this.
All it is, is a standardized user interface.  While you can definitely make
good case that a standardized user interface across all computer software
programs
would create maximum utility, there is still going to be that initial
learning
curve for the person who has never encountered the standardized user
interface.
Intuition isn't going to do a damn thing for them here.

Think about how "intuitive" the arraingement of letters on a typewriter
keyboard is - it's the God of Standardization here that is being
worshipped - not an intuitive
interface.