Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 14:29:16 +0200
From:      Johann Visagie <wjv@cityip.co.za>
To:        Steve Reid <sreid@alpha.sea-to-sky.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /usr/sbin/named

On Sun, 31 May 1998 at 23:56 SAT, Steve Reid wrote:

> Is /usr/sbin/named as distributed with FreeBSD 2.2.6-RELEASE vulnerable
> to known exploits?

If it had been vulnerable you would've been hacked already.  :-)  There was
widespread exploitation of that hole, especially after the release of mscan.

>From what I can establish, no recent versions of FreeBSD are vulnerable OOTB,
since the named is /not/ compiled with inverse queries enabled by default.
I've tried the exploit on a number of machines to no avail.  (Oh the other
hand, many RedHat Linux machines are vulnerable, depending on which version
of RedHat's named RPM is installed.)

-- V

Johann Visagie | Email: wjv@CityIP.co.za | Tel: +27 21 419-7878