Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 12:58:09 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Fred L. Templin" <templin@erg.sri.com>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, kelvin@uni.net.hk
Subject:   Re: PCMCIA card support list

> That's right - I now remember seeing the comment about FreeBSD not
> supporting Xircom because of their closed architecture. This brings to
> mind an interesting question, however: when I finish the NetWave radio
> driver, will the FreeBSD community even want a copy for integration into
> the source tree? If not, I suppose I'll have to handle release engineering
> on my own. I understand (and support) where the FreeBSD community is coming
> from on this issue, and am somewhat chagrined at being stuck with developing
> a public-domain driver to a proprietary interface...

I don't see why we wouldn't.  We wouldn't mind a completely
reverse-engineered Xircom driver either (assuming that Xircom didn't
have it in mind to sue anyone doing so, and I genuinely don't know
whether they would or not), this not being a political issue so much
as a technical one.  If you've managed to write a driver for some
proprietary product and there are no legal barriers to us
incorporating it, I don't see a problem at all.

					Jordan