Date:      Wed, 03 May 2006 15:59:37 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        takawata@jp.freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lpt0 disappear (ppc related)

In message: <200605032151.k43Lpjg2009960@ns.init-main.com>
            takawata@jp.freebsd.org writes:
: In message <20060501.222743.32503989.imp@bsdimp.com>, "M. Warner Losh" さんいわ
: く:
: >In message: <200605020815.31012.doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
: >            "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> writes:
: >: On Tuesday 02 May 2006 01:23, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: >: > : However you wouldn't expect that using it as a module would result in
: >: > : reduced functionality. (The same as how you wouldn't expect compiling
: >: > : something into your kernel would result in reduced functionality)
: >: >
: >: > At the same time, you'd expect it to behave like every other 'bus' in
: >: > the tree.  We omit the attachments for drivers to that bus when the
: >: > kernel is built w/o that bus.  This is why if you have, say, ep in the
: >: > kernel, but pccard loaded as a module, the 3c589 you just inserted
: >: > into the pccard slot won't work.
: >: >
: >: > It is a minor imperfection in the config system that no one has taken
: >: > on as a Problem To Solve.  Solving it turns out to be somewhat tricky.
: >:
: >: Hmm, but I load acpi as a module and get acpi attachments.. (for sio and ppc
: >)
: >:
: >: <shrugs> it's black magic to me anyway :)
: >:
: >: I didn't mean to belittle Marcel's work, I was just suprised that it would
: >: cause a functionality loss like that.
: >
: >I think it just points out a weakness in the underlying system...
:
: Is it time to hide isa_dma interface under isa_if ?
: All acpi capable archictectures links isa_if.c, I think.

Yes.  I think it would be worthwhile to have all the ISA symbols
hidden, like we do for PC Card.  This would be a step in that
direction...  Maybe the last step?

Warner