Date:      Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:00:34 +0200
From:      Daniel Gerzo <danger@rulez.sk>
To:        Murray Stokely <murray@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org, Tilman Linneweh <arved@arved.at>, Arthur Hartwig <ahartwig@iprg.nokia.com>
Subject:   Re[2]: Comments on the new web site

Hello Murray,

Wednesday, October 12, 2005, 10:49:55 PM, you answered:

> On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 10:42:18PM +0200, Daniel Gerzo wrote:
>> Why do you need more space? I use 1024x768 resolution and there is
>> enough space to add a few more links...

> It is not physical space but clutter.  The more links you have the
> harder it is to find the relevant ones.  With 10 links, it is easy to
> find a 'developers' link.  If you clutter that with 30 links, the same
> 'developers' link becomes much harder to find.  That's why people
> contantly couldn't find things like the 'release engineering' link on
> the old front page.

Actually, when one want to get to the cvs repository through our web
page, he needs 3 more clicks if he know what is he seeking for
(Developers->CVS Repository->web interface does the trick). This is
pretty long way and the Shortcuts are meant to simplify those
steps, aren't they?

> Putting as many links as will fit is the problem, not the solution.

I think that cvsweb is pretty much used between
developers and contributors (but personally, when I need to check
something through cvsweb, I'm not going through main web page, I just
click on cvsweb.freebsd.org)...

--
Cheers,
  Daniel Gerzo