Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 19:03:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Jay D. Nelson" <jdn@qiv.com>
To:        Robert Heron <rh@mtl.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on IBM/RS-6000

I don't think [Open,Net]BSD is an answer unless you're lucky. They only
support PCI machines, which your 43P is, but I'm not sure IBM supports the
OpenProm spec.

AIX, however, is one of the most BSDish Unices out there. It shouldn't be
that hard to make the switch. (The 42P is a nice box, BTW.)

Before you make the migration, I would suggest:

a) Read up on LVM (Logical Volume Manager) -- use th `info' command.
b) Read `info' on SRC (System Resource Controller)
c) Get used to the oddball file system (The netscape server, Domino, etc.,
   will be in /usr/lpp.)
d) Get familiar with `SMIT'. (#info -s smit)
e) Read everything you can find in `info' about printers and the queueing
   system.
f) Sendmail and DNS are older versions. Sendmail is 8.7.[4,5] -- Don't
   know if m4 macros are available.
g) When you get frustrated trying to customize the system, try #info -s
   odm'
h) Read `info' on backup/restore and mksysb.

Don't be alarmed when you find you both love _and_ hate AIX.

Good luck.

-- Jay