Date:      Wed, 20 Oct 1999 08:23:55 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Stephen Roome <steveroo@mothra.bri.hp.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone adding "support" for Athlons.

> As the title says, is anyone working on support for Athlons, and when can we
> expect it to arrive back in -stable ?
>
> (I can't find anything in the latest versions of sys/i386/i386/identcpu.c)

You should try looking harder:

CPU: AMD-K7(tm) Processor (499.03-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x612  Stepping = 2
  Features=0x81f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT
,MMX>
  AMD Features=0xc0400000<<b22>,<b30>,3DNow!>
Pentium Pro MTRR support enabled

> Also, what actually needs to be done, it doesn't look difficult to add code to
> recognise the cpu, what extra stuff to do may be harder, but I've not got round
> to reading the specs anyway.
>
> (egcs development seems to have athlon support now, I've not tried it and I've
> only seen patches so far by searching the mailing list)
>
> It would be great to find all the benefits of my shiny new hardware (actually
> it's beige =( ), if indeed there are that many. (perhaps the 3DNow stuff would
> give some advantages!)

I suggest you go read the documentation before you come back.  No
offense, just a caution to check more carefully first.