Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 13:18:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mozilla failure on 4.6.2

Joe Marcus Clarke writes:
 > http://www.mozilla.org/unix/tru64.html
 >
 > It applies to Tru64, but it hints that Alpha Linux is the only platform
 > capable of compiling Mozilla for Alpha using GCC.  The Compaq C++
 > compiler is, unfortunately, not ported to FreeBSD.

And probably never will be, as it requires symbols from the linux
libc, the last I remember.

I assume you're talking about xptcall?  From the link at the bottom,
there appears to be code for linux alpha.  Since we use the same g++
compiler, and the same binary format, I suspect that the linux
assembly code there should work. And it appears we're using it:

<1:13pm>monet/gallatin:unix>pwd
/usr/ports/www/mozilla-devel/work/mozilla/xpcom/reflect/xptcall/src/md/unix
<1:13pm>monet/gallatin:unix>ls *.o
xptcinvoke_linux_alpha.o       xptcstubs_linux_alpha.o

Are you saying that there's something different about the calling
conventions that would make using the linux code as it stands
incorrect?

Drew