Date:      Thu, 8 Jul 1999 18:50:34 +0000
From:      Rod Taylor <dark@idiotswitch.org>
To:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HCL ...

I'd be interested in helping with this.    However, I don't know SHTML (yet).

On Thu, 08 Jul 1999, John Reynolds~ wrote:
> [ moved to -chat ]
>
> > 	  One of the guys I work with is asking me about a Hardware
> > Compatibility List for FreeBSD, and, sadly, other then the sparse lists in
> > the handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/hw.html), I know of none.
> >
> > 	  He pointed me to the following URL of what Linux/RedHat has
> > available, and am wondering if we have somethign similar floating around
> > out there:
> >
> > http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/intel/60/rh6.0-hcl-i.ld.html
> >

> This is one of the things I've been hoping to find time to start. I'm hoping
> that Jordan (or whoever) can host it under the FreeBSD, Inc. web
> area. Unfortunately I've not had the time to dedicate to the effort.
>
> I recently put together a PC that would dual-boot win98 (only when "needed")
> and FreeBSD. I wanted to have lots of "spiffy" hardware like a CD-RW and
> scanner, cool sound card, etc. It took me a LOOOOOOOONG time to do the
> research in our mailing lists, etc. to make sure that what I wanted to buy
> would be supported under 3.1 and then 3.2. I longed for an HCL ....
>
> My original idea was to send something out to -questions and maybe more
> lists that was basically a big questionaire of what people currently run,
> what they've tried that didn't run or work, if they had to patch the kernel
> to get something work, what did they do, etc. Only your imagination would
> limit how you could organize and search the information.
>
> But, I think as more people migrate from Linux to FreeBSD, they're gonna
> want to know how to setup XYZ piece of hardware--and equivalently as people
> come from other worlds or build up new PCs, or buy "canned" PCs, they're
> going to want to know what works and what doesn't work.
>
> I really do hope I'll have time in the future to try and start this
> effort!
>
> Any ideas?
>
> -Jr
>
> --
This American system of ours, call it Americanism, call it capitalism, call it
what you will, gives each and every one of us a great opportunity if we only
seize it with both hands and make the most of it. -Al Capone
--

Rod Taylor