Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2012 15:26:29 -0700
From:      CH <freebsd-fs@ch.pkts.ca>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can you list internal checksums of a ZFS filesystem?

Hello list,

I'm moving data to a ZFS filesystem, and it's a ton of big files (more
than 3 terabytes).  I don't trust the network copy command completely,
and so I'd like to compare checksums.  I'm not looking forward to it,
since it's going to be a slow process, especially if I can't run the
command on the server.

Since ZFS already has computed and stored checksums for every file on
the destination machine, is there an easy way to extract that from the
filesystem? Perhaps 'ls -lR --checksums' or similar?

Note, checksums still have to be calculated on the source machine, and
so the overall operation will still take the same length of time
(assuming ZFS is faster than HFS+), but it does save a lot of cpu and
disk reads on the destination machine, which can then be used for other
things.

Thanks!
--
CH <freebsd-fs@ch.pkts.ca>