Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2024 22:20:31 +0100
From:      Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>,  FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to use the L4 Microkernel with a FreeBSD userland.

--000000000000569ef8061121bd60

I will do it as soon as I get all the necessary tools to turn on the
Raspberry Pi 4b. I was thinking that L4 worked like the old project
coLinux,where Linux ran as a list of processes under WIndows. In my sick
mind I'd thought that L4 allows FreeBSD to run as a list of processes with
the L4 microkernel itself on "top" of it. Do you know if something like
this exists ?

On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 9:01=E2=80=AFPM Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com> wr=
ote:

> [...]
> sure that it can be done,because it is written clearly on their website :
> > >

> > > http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/L4Re/download/snapshots/
> > >

> > > on the section :
> > > Host system requirements
> > > The host system shall be a 64bit-based system with a recent Linux
> distribution installed and at least 2GB of free disk space.
> > > All necessary tools required by the build are available from the
> provided packages of the Linux distributions, including cross compilers.
> But there are also other cross compiler packages available (see below). Y=
ou
> might want to run make check_build_tools in the src/l4 directory to verif=
> the common tools are installed.
> > > You are free to use any Linux distribution you like, or even BSDs or
> any of its derivatives. But then you should know the game. Especially too=
> versions should be recent, as installed on the listed distributions below=
.
> > > We are confident that the snapshot works on the following
> distributions:
> > >     =E2=80=A2 Debian 11 or later
> > >     =E2=80=A2 Ubuntu 22.04 or later
> > >
> > > Let's say I want to use the L4 microkernel + FreeBSD 14 on my
> Raspberry Pi 4,the first step I did was to build L4Re for the Rpi,accordi=
ng
> with this instructions :
> > >

> > > http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/L4Re/rpi.html
> > >
> > > This is the log file of the compilation,that hasn't given any  error =
:

> > > https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/6SwN2mpJBM/
> > >

> > > Or I could have taken a pre built image of the L4 microkernel here :
> > >

> > > http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/download/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm64=
/

> > > At this point the tutorial says that I should use a Linux distro. The=
> suggest the official distro for the Raspberry Pi 4,that's RaspBian. But I
> don't want to use Linux as a userland,I want to use FreeBSD. The question
> now is : what should I do to achieve that goal ? How can I link the L4
> microkernel with the ubldr bootloader of FreeBSD ? Or should I link it to
> the kernel of FreeBSD ? Can someone explain to me the missing step ? than=
ks.

> > QUOTING the "Configuring yourself" section:
> > The make setup step configures predefined setups for both the L4Re
> microkernel (Fiasco) and the L4Re user-level software, and connects both
> together so the images for the target system can be built.
> > END QUOTE
> >
> > So L4Re has its own user-level software, not just a kernel. There is no
> use of a Linux or FreeBSD user-level software
> > when L4Re is booted. (They are just used for building.)
> >
> > "The host system" is just a host for building the L4Re parts and
> assembling the image from the parts. The "Pulling it together" section is
> about combining the parts (including the microkernel and the user-level
> software) to make the overall image that does not include Linux or FreeBS=

--=20
Mario.

--000000000000569ef8061121bd60

 to turn on the Raspberry Pi 4b. I was thinking that L4 worked like the old=
 project coLinux,where Linux ran as a list of processes under WIndows. In m=
y sick mind I&#39;d thought that L4 allows FreeBSD to run as a list of proc=
esses with the L4 microkernel itself on &quot;top&quot; of it. Do you know =
n Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 9:01=E2=80=AFPM Mark Millard &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:m=
ss=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid =
rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">[Only replying to what I&#39;ve subscrib=
ed to --and I dropped<br>
Warner as well.]<br>
On Feb 11, 2024, at 11:43, Mario Marietto &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:marietto200=
8@gmail.com" target=3D"_blank">marietto2008@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; ok. But what does this mean ? That I can use whatever Linux distro I w=
ant ? Or even the FreeBSD world ?<br>
Only to build L4Re.<br>
The LR4e built will not contain any Linux userland materials,<br>
nor any FreeBSD userland materials. LR4e has its own userland<br>
materials that will be present instead.<br>
arm64/" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/do=
wnload/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm64/</a><br>
already contains pre-built .elf and .uimage files Why not use one<br>
of those on the RPi4B?<br>
By size (larger), the most complete ones for the RPi4B seem to be<br>
(both formats):<br>
arm64/bootstrap_vm-multi_rpi4.elf" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/download/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm64/bootstra=
p_vm-multi_rpi4.elf</a><br>
arm64/bootstrap_vm-multi_rpi4.uimage" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/download/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm64/boots=
trap_vm-multi_rpi4.uimage</a><br>
arm64/bootstrap_vm-basic_rpi4.elf" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">htt=
p://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/download/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm64/bootstra=
p_vm-basic_rpi4.elf</a><br>
arm64/bootstrap_vm-basic_rpi4.uimage" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">=
http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/download/snapshots/pre-built-images/arm64/boots=
trap_vm-basic_rpi4.uimage</a><br>
&gt; On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 7:59=E2=80=AFPM Mark Millard &lt;<a href=3D"ma=