Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 21:29:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@blues.ghis.net>
Cc:        mharo@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: net/gaim

On Tue, 20 Apr 1999, Jim Mock wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Apr 1999 at 20:58:10 -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> > Just did a cvsup, and saw cvsup stuck for a while on net/gaim
> > (sometimes it's actually GOOD to have a slow line :-> ) ...
> >
> > Did you notice that there's a 370K logo.xpm in files/ of that port?
> > No, that's not cricket ... did you realize it was there?
>
> It's there because the original was of the AIM logo and Tux.  I tried
> sizing down the replacement logo.xpm after it was sent to me (I did
> the port, but not the image), and gimp wouldn't take it down any
> lower.  I also posted a message here and to advocacy about two weeks
> before submitting the port asking if anyone was interested.  The only
> reply I got was from someone on IRC so that's what I went with.
>
> I didn't think we'd want a port that showed Tux as soon as the app is
> ran on a FreeBSD system which is the reason for the new logo.
>
> If you can downsize the image to make it smaller or provide a new one,
> by all means go for it.

Keep the logo, by all means, but sticking it in the port isn't
acceptable, that's what DISTFILES are for, it has to be available on a
website somewhere.

If you can't locate it otherwise, I'll have to stick a copy on
www.freebsd.org/~chuckr.  You can't leave it where it is.

> --
> Jim Mock  System Administrator  jim@blues.ghis.net    ,-._|\  FreeBSD
> work: Global Hosting Inet Svcs  http://www.ghis.net/ /      \ The
> personal:  http://www.ghis.net/~jim/                 \_,--._/ Power To
> The FreeBSD 'zine  http://www.freebsdzine.org/             v  Serve!

chuckr@picnic.mat.net       | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).