Date:      Sun, 20 Apr 1997 12:49:38 -0700
From:      mike allison <mallison@konnections.com>
To:        Paul Richards <paul@originat.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>, jack@diamond.xtalwind.net, mark@quickweb.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: On Holy Wars, and a Plea for Peace [sorry Danny, wherever you are,           but the title fits]...

Paul Richards wrote:

> I think the main reason that Linux is now so huge is because it
> caught on amongst DOS users who wanted to try unix and the BSD* crowd
> never really made any effort to promote BSD in the DOS community
> because frankly the BSD community was never interested in winning them
> over. There were a lot of disgruntled Windows users who had advanced
> to the point of being hackers and wanted something that worked better
> and Linux filled that vacuum. If Microsoft had got NT out sooner that
> might not have happened and if BSD users had made the effort we could
> probably have won them over to BSD but a lot of what was said at the
> time was true, BSD was a bit of a privileged club of unix wizards and
> Linus offered a much more appealing community to people who didn't
> really understand unix but wanted to see what it was all about.
>
> I remember the early days of 386BSD and Free|NetBSD and we were more
> intersted in talking about new VM systems than teaching unix newbies
> why `dir` didn't work.
>
> --
>   Dr Paul Richards, Originative Solutions Ltd.

I wanted to say something about BSD elitism, but I shied away.
Actually, remember that the GNU project wouldn't even talk about PC
prots because they we're so focused on Minicomputer markets or whatever
we want to call the DECs and SUNs of the late 80's/early 90's...

I agree with the emotions of your assessments...(that sounds like
something SPOCK would say...)

-Mike