Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 07:19:46 -0500
From:      "Douglas G. Allen" <dallen@roe35.lth2.k12.il.us>
To:        "FreeBSD Stable Listserv" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ipfw question this time

Now that the problem with the machine with two physical cards is solved, by=
 downing one card and using an alias and leaving the extra card in for a=
 quick fix should the active one fail, I have another problem.  This may=
 have been in the back of my addled thinking when I decided to put two=
 NIC's into the system in the first place.

fxp0 and the fxp0_alias are both running.  I ipfw (in a client=
 configuration) using the IP's for both of these (or just fxp0 for that=
 matter) and the regular netmask (255.255.255.192).  fxp0's IP works just=
 like I would expect, but the IP address assigned to fxp0_alias is=
 unreachable and can't get out to the network.  Does anyone have any=
 suggestions or tricks on how I can get the ipfw rules to work on both=
 interfaces??

The ifconfig's are set up so that fxp0 is IP a.b.c.d netmask=
 255.255.255.192 and fxp0_alias is a.b.c.e netmask 255.255.255.255.

Thanks, in advance, for any information you can provide.

						Doug