Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 1995 15:08:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jeff Aitken <jaitken@csugrad.cs.vt.edu>
To:        root@io.cts.com (Morgan Davis)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Machine state after reboot?

> Many times now after rebooting out of FreeBSD, I've experienced
> trouble that required a reset to put the system back into shape.

I've come to the conclusion that certain components don't get a full
reset unless you turn the damn thing off and then back on a few moments
later.  I've seen the keyboard lock up after using Ctl-Alt-Del to reboot
from DOS to FreeBSD, and had other things go wrong after a shutdown -r
and tgen booting DOS or NT (like the scsi controller not being found,
etc).  None of these conditions persist after a full reset.

I'm not really sure how the x86 hardware works - what's the difference
betewwn Ctl-Alt-Del and pushing the power button?  Ideally, both would
have the same effect, but that seems to not be the case.  Also, when
Freebsd halts and says 'press any key to reboot' or whatever, is it
doing the same thing as ctl-alt-del?  I've noticed problems after this
too when I reboot, say, DOS.

Now the screwy part is that all of this happens only on my Dad's PC (a
Dell 486dx266, Adaptec 2842, #9gxe video card) and it has never happened
on my PC (a generic AMD 486dx266, NCR scsi, WD svga card)

--
Jeff Aitken
jaitken@vt.edu