Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 1995 11:27:24 +0100 (MET)
From:      "Georg-W. Koltermann" <gwk@racer.dkrz.de>
To:        keithl@netrunner.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting distribution off ftp site

> Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 13:49:47 +0000 (GMT)
> From: keith leonard <keithl@netrunner.net>
> Sender: owner-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> HELP!!
> I recently asked Jordan how to retreive the 2.1 packages off the ftp
> site , I must have phrased the question wrong.
> explaination:
> 1. I have a shell account to the net

On which server do you have a shell account?  You don't have an
account on each and every machine in the whole net, do you?

> 2. I have an IDE Cdrom which FreeBSD doesn't support
> 3. I have downloaded the boot and root floppy images and rawrite.
> 4. I have run them and been presented with the installation screen and docs
> 5. I have read them (perhaps not  in the spirit that they are presented
> :) )

In the doc menu there is an item "Install".  That document describes
installing step by step.  Just follow the procedure.

> 6. I am now thoroughly confussed (don't know smiley for this)
> Question:
> How do I retreive the files I need from your (or a mirror sites) computer
> to my servers hardrive so that I can download them to my MSDOS partition
> and install FreeBSD.

You don't.  It's automatically done by the install program.  I
remember someone has told you this before.  Did you listen?

> I have tried the "make fetch" scheme presented in
> the FreeBSD Handbook I downloaded - It doesn't work.

??  Never heard of it.  I didn't use it when I installed FreeBSD.

> I have tried taring
> the "distfiles" directory - It doesn't work.

What do you mean "it doesn't work"?  Do you get any kind of error
message?  What exactly did you do, and what did you expect to happen?

> Short of "getting" each file
> seperately I have NO idea how to get all the files (again - from your
> computer to my servers hard drive then to my MSDOS partition.)

As has been said before: YOU GENERALLY DO NOT NEED TO DO THIS.  If you
absolutely insist on copying stuff to your MS-DOG partition you sure
can.  What kind of access do you have to FreeBSD distributions?  If
it's ftp, then you could make local directories bin, floppies,
manpages etc. on your MS-DOG disk, and then use the ftp command
"mget bin/*" and so forth to download all pieces.  But again, THE
INSTALL PROGRAM CAN DO THIS FOR YOU, YOU DON'T NEED TO DO IT.  REALLY.

> Please - if this is a case of "If you don't how then you don't belong
> here" let me know and I'll wait for a FreeBSD release on Cdrom that does
> support IDE Cdrom.

What are you complaining about?  Didn't you get the previous replies
to your question?

> If it's a case of a misplaced comma or period then please let me know.
>
> If it's a case of simple (and I am simple) ignorance then please let me
> know ( gently ).

I don't think the previous replies were un-gently.

> Thanks in advance
>
> Keith Leonard
> keithl@netrunner.net

Regards,