Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:42:44 +0100 (CET)
From:      Theo van Klaveren <havoc@phoenix.student.utwente.nl>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with the ATA-driver

When installing the 08-dec-1999 snapshot (before ATA went in GENERIC),
 a recompile from the kernel with the ATA driver instead of the WD
driver resulted in an unbootable system because of the following
error (approx.):

mounting root /dev/ad0s1a
ata-master: lost disk contact
ata: resetting devices ..

After this, the machine hangs and doesn't respond to anything but a push
on the Big Red Button. A few days later, this was fixed by Soren (sp?) but
it broke again as I recompiled my system yesterday (This was the first
time after it had been fixed, so I don't know when exactly it broke).

Harddisks: Western Digital Caviar (2.0 GB), non-DMA and
           Western Digital Caviar (2.5 GB), DMA-33.
Mainboard: Asus P5A-B Super7
Chipset: ALi Aladdin V AGPset

Taking the UDMA disk out doesn't help. Everything works just
fine with the WD driver...

Any ideas?

Theo van Klaveren <havoc@phoenix.student.utwente.nl>
 http://phoenix.student.utwente.nl  /  ICQ #1353681

 - Why, oh why didn't I take the _blue_ pill?