Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 1995 18:31:13 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   dumb Q. on sendmail

Quick dumb question ;-)

I log in about every day via slip, & sendmail flushes my outgoing mail spool,
	(the line gets cut by the IP provider after 20 mins (shortage of lines),
	I don't pay, so I don't complain :-)
Anyway .. my outgoing mail stacks up, sendmail build slow end to end
temporary virtual circuits across the planet to deliver, this is _slow_,

Ideally I'd upload to a fast local internet host, & let it sweat it out
after Id hung up, lately I tried:
	mail foobar%freebsd.org@my-citys-ip-provider-host-name
not much luck with that (can't remember why offhand)

In the past I used a for loop on the remote-slip host, &
invoked sendmail i-i -t there ... thats cludgy, & doesnt interface easily to
mail readers etc,

Is there some other obvious way I'm missing ?

The only other way I can see is repetitive redial after hang up
(or pay for hours of commercial IP gateway connect time)
& wait while sendmail slowly does it's stuff, & the modem light barely blink

PS I've got
	Ok8
in my sendmail.cf  which says "Set connection cache size."
Perhaps what I need to do is to up the no. of simultaneous sendmail slave
processes to about 20 (anything else on my machine can wait ;-)
PPS I've also set:
	# load average at which we just queue messages
	Ox20
	# load average at which we refuse connections
	OX20

Julian S