Date:      Mon, 16 Mar 2015 17:00:08 -0300
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Mat=C3=ADas_Perret_Cantoni?= <perretcantonim@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   hexdumping /dev/mem

Hello!

I'm trying to read a 32 bit register of the System Level Control
Registers of the ZedBoard (Zynq-7000 SoC) from a running FreeBSD. I
thought that I could simply do it with hexdump(1) to avoid writing a
driver since I only need to read it once. I've tried:

#hexdump -s 0xF8000910 -n 4 /dev/mem

and I get this message:

hexdump: /dev/mem: Invalid argument

Reading some archives in this mailing list I've found that "the arm
version of /dev/mem is not functionally equivalent to that of amd64 or
i386.  Arm disallows access to non-DRAM addresses through /dev/mem".

Is there any other way of doing this? Maybe the whole idea of using
hexdump for this isn't really good.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Matias.