Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 2020 17:42:47 +0000
From:      Patryk Cisek <patryk@cisek.email>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trying to install FreeBSD 12.1 on Librem laptop

On 2020-07-13 11:33 a.m., David Christensen wrote:

> I see a few related posts on the Purism forum:
>=20
> https://forums.puri.sm/search?q=3Dfreebsd

Hi David. Yes, those posts were the first ones, I went thru. These,
however, are pretty outdated. Back in the day installing FreeBSD was
easy -- there was no problem. This led me (sorry, haven't mentioned that
in my original email) to also try 11.4. But it also didn't work for me.
There was no error message about that missing /boot/entropy, but it
froze just the same.

>=20
> What is the intended purpose of the laptop?

Are you asking about how I want to use FreeBSD on this laptop? If so, I
want to learn FreeBSD. I suspect, I'll really like it, so very possibly
will also be contributing to it. I've been Debian Developer since around
2006 and I'd like to broaden my expertise and also get to know FreeBSD
really well.

> What is the model number and/or part number of the laptop?

Librem 13v4

> Please post the URL for the manufacturer support page.

On main page:
https://puri.sm/

there is a section "Support" with couple of links (Contact,
Documentation, FAQ, Forums and My Account).

>=20
> What are the hardware specifications -- CPU, memory, storage, graphics
> chip, display, Ethernet, WiFi, etc.?

CPU is: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz
4 cores.

Got 32 gig DDR4 memory

Storage:
Got 2 drives. 1TB NVMe (fully dedicated to Debian Testing installation)
0.5TB SATA SSD (dedicated fully for my FreeBSD installation)

Graphics:
$ lspci | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 620
(rev 02)
00:1f.5 Non-VGA unclassified device: Intel Corporation Device 9d24 (rev 21)

There's no ethernet. WiFi:
$ lspci | grep Wireless
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 Wireless Network
Adapter (rev 01)

>=20
> What is the motherboard firmware version?

A newest version of Purism's CoreBoot:
https://source.puri.sm/coreboot/utility

>=20
> Is PureOS installed and running correctly?  What is the version?  What
> is the Linux version?

I'm not running PureOS. I'm running Debian Testing, which is a base for
PureOS.

>=20
> Do you want to do multi-boot or FreeBSD only?

Yes, but I'll have a separate SATA SSD dedicated to FreeBSD, so I'll be
deciding at BIOS stage, which system to boot (another words, from which
drive to boot). Choosing the drive to boot from is really the only
choice, SeaBIOS gives you. :)

> Please post the partition table for the primary storage device.  If the
> laptop has additional storage devices and you want to use them with
> FreeBSD (e.g. ZFS mirror, raidz), please post their partition tables.
> Please post /etc/crypttab and/or /etc/fstab if you have a PureOS or
> Linux installation and want to do multi-boot.

Didn't get to the partitioning phase yet, so the drive is not
partitioned yet.

> As an alternative, is there a hypervisor available for PureOS?

As I mentioned in my 1st email, I installed FreeBSD successfully a
number of times in a VM -- that is not a problem. I just wanted to also
get a bare metal experience.