Date:      Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:37:50 -0800
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhclient existing when run early in startup

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 05:20:29PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I have a script (Tobias Roth's profile) that runs right after root is
> mounted r/w. With the new OpenBSD dhclient, it fails completely. If I
> run it later (after the system is up), it works fine.
>=20
> The only messages I get are:
> chroot
> exit;
>=20
> Any idea what is causing this and if there is a work-around other than
> ISC dhclient?

I really don't have any idea where to start debugging this.  Can you
verify that profile runs before netif?  If it doesn't, profile is
probably messing with the interface in an unsupported way and killing
dhclient.  With the base doing a better job of supporting dynamic
configuration, we're diverging more and more from the 4.x model profile
is based on so it's going to be increasingly difficult to make it work
without major rewrites.

-- Brooks

--=20

--qMm9M+Fa2AknHoGS