Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 22:29:14 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
From:      "Peter Gatsoulis" <pg@eth1.com>
To:        <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   duped laptop disk NOT bootable

any advice on the following

just duped a laptop disk with dump|restore

put it into new notebook

i get invalid partition
i get the 1st stage boot prompt with boot failure message and the expected
default that failed
0:ad(0,a)/boot/loader

the duped drive has the FBSD slice as ad0s1e

if i say at this point

0:ad(0,e)/boot/loader  OR if i say;
0:ad(0,e)/kernel

i can boot to my custom compiled kernel; also sometimes BUT NOT always i can
boot with just saying;

0:ad(0,e)

i have tried making a boot.config, then a boot.conf file with 0:ad(0
e)/boot/loader in there

BUT it doesn't work, i still have to boot it manually by saying the exact
same thing as above

i've tried putting a reference in loader.conf to try to get the loader to
reckognize boot.config by just specifying the file name /boot/config in
loader.conf  but maybe i don't have the right syntax

even tried doing a disklabel -B /dev/ad0s1, i thought maybe there weren't
any boot blocks,  tried disklabel -w -B also

tried editing the disklabel disklabel -e ad0 and tried changing the
partition label from e to a but even as root the system wouldn't lemme write
to the disk when editing i finished

fresh out of ideas, anyone know how to do this so it boots by itself again?
HOW/where DO I SPECIFY THAT ad0 s1e, is the right place to boot from with
out doing this manually each and every time?

i haven't tried doing anything w/ boot0cfg but i figure i'm past that point anyways if i get to where i'm now getting to..