Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 1997 22:08:10 +0000 ()
From:      Doug Russell <drussell@saturn-tech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SIGABRTs killing X

I finally had to change the subject line...  I wasn't thinking when I
typed it the first time and it has been annoying me.  :)

Anyway...  I thought I would provide a little more detail since this has
become a bit of a topic on its own.  I have been using this release of
XF86_SVGA for several months on this machine, and never had any kind of
problem before.  I've used it on several different versions of FreeBSD,
including 2.1.5, 2.2-ALPHA and currently 2.2-BETA.  I've used it on
several different machines, including my bedroom PC (Actually, it is
physically IN my bed...  One of the drawers in the bottom of the waterbed
serves as it's case.  :)  Yes, I am crazy.)  The bedroom machine has run
that XF86_SVGA for weeks on end with no problems at all.

I've also run it for reasonable lengths of time on this machine before
with out any problems.  I can't think of anything that has changed at all
recently, except I installed a PCI 3C905-TX in place of the
previous 3C509TP.  The last change before that was to put in 4x 8 meg EDO
45ns SIMMs so I could turn up the memory speed knobbies in the CMOS to
full blast.

The board is a Gigabyte 586VX, currently running a Cyrix P166+.  Video is
a Cirrus Logic 5446 based card with 4 megs.

real memory  = 33554432 (32768K bytes)
avail memory = 30543872 (29828K bytes)
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 <generic PCI bridge (vendor=8086 device=7030 subclass=0)> rev 2 on
pci0:0
chip1 <Intel 82371SB PCI-ISA bridge> rev 1 on pci0:7:0
chip2 <Intel 82371SB IDE interface> rev 0 on pci0:7:1
vx0 <3COM 3C905 Fast Etherlink XL PCI> rev 0 int a irq 11 on pci0:9
mii[*mii*] address 00:60:97:83:8e:69
vga0 <VGA-compatible display device> rev 0 on pci0:10
Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
sc0 at 0x60-0x6f irq 1 on motherboard
sc0: VGA color <16 virtual consoles, flags=0x0>
sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
sio0: type 16550A
sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
sio1: type 16550A
lpt0 at 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
lp0: TCP/IP capable interface
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
fdc0: NEC 765
fd0: 1.44MB 3.5in
fd1: 1.2MB 5.25in
wdc0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14 flags 0x80ff on isa
wdc0: unit 0 (wd0): <WDC AC2420H>, 32-bit, multi-block-16
wd0: 405MB (830760 sectors), 989 cyls, 15 heads, 56 S/T, 512 B/S
wdc1 not found at 0x170
matcd - Matsushita (Panasonic) CD-ROM Driver by FDIV, Version  1(26)
18-Oct-95
matcdc0 at 0x230-0x233 on isa
matcdc0 Host interface type 0
matcd0: [CR-5630.75]  matcd1: [CR-5630.81]
npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface
sb0 at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 on isa
sb0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
sbxvi0 at 0x0 drq 5 on isa
sbxvi0: <SoundBlaster 16 4.13>
sbmidi0 at 0x330 on isa
 <SoundBlaster MPU-401>
opl0 at 0x388 on isa
opl0: <Yamaha OPL-3 FM>

The X server itself is the October whatever (26th?) 1996 release.  I am
about to FTP over a copy of the 3.2A beta release, and see if I can test
this whole problem some more.

It didn't crash on me today, although I had just rebooted this machine
last night before I went to bed....  I will try to stress test it and see
if I can get it to crash again to see if I can localize the problem.

If anyone has any ideas of how to actually *track* the problem, let me
know.  If it were a VM problem, memory leak, etc... I could cron up a ps
every hour or whatever to monitor the system, and a -v -p X'sPID to see
how much it was bloating...  etc. etc...

It's not VM, though...   I may grab the sources for the server and see if
I can at least find out where it could generate a sigABRT from...  but
perhaps there is someone more familiar with the X sources that could shed
some light on this.  I know a bit about FreeBSD internals, but I've never
even looked at the source for X.

Later......						<Doug>